Our Past Says Everything About Our Future
Cheney Brothers is family owned and operated, in its fourth generation. What truly drives many family businesses is the sense of connection and identity the owners and their family members feel with the business – it runs deep.
Cheney Brothers is founded
- Cheney Brothers is founded by Joe Cheney.
- The original facility was located at 420 Claremore Drive in West Palm Beach, Florida.
1928 – 1939 Great Depression
- Cheney Brothers survives the Hurricane of 1928 & The “Great Depression”
Cheney Brothers becomes incorporated
- Cheney Brothers becomes incorporated. Cheney Brothers, Inc.
Byron Russell joins Cheney Brothers
- Byron Russell, Mr. Cheney’s grandson, joins the Cheney Brothers team as a buyer and warehouse manager
Sales hit $3 million
- Sales hit $3 million
Byron Russell becomes CEO
- Byron Russell takes reign as CEO of Cheney Brothers Inc.
- The Cheney Brothers Fleet grows to 6 delivery trucks
Cheney Brothers goes high-tech
- Cheney Brothers goes high-tech with computerization
- Cheney Brothers Implementation of NCR and begins running lockwood ERP system
Cheney Brothers opens Warewashing Division
- Cheney Brothers opens Warewashing Division
- Cheney Brothers moves into Monceaux Road, a 75,000 sq ft distribution center in West Palm Beach
- The Cheney fleet grows to 20 delivery trucks
- Sales hit $20 million
Frozen & Refrigerated Products added
- Cheney Brothers adds Frozen & Refrigerated Products
- Cheney Brothers introduces an Italian Division
First annual Food Show
- Cheney Brothers holds the first annual Food Show at the Palm Beach County Convention Center
Cheney Brothers adds IT Department
- Cheney Brothers adds IT Department
- Cheney Brothers acquires a paper company, the Steven’s Company and adds Disposable Division
- A milestone for the company, the First $1 million day in sales
Pay phones/pagers to laptops
- IT Department takes Cheney Brothers from pay phones/pagers to laptops
Export Division is added
- Export Division is added, reaching into the Caribbean, Mexico and Latin American markets
- The new division starts with 2-3 containers/wk
- Cheney Brothers introduces the Seafood Division
Cheney Brothers goes cyber
- Cheney Brothers goes cyber, releasing http://www.cheneybrothers.com
Cheney Brothers on the move
- Cheney Brothers moves to it’s current location, a state-of-the-art facility at 1 Cheney Way, Riviera Beach
- Sales hit $85 million
- Cheney Brothers is 350 employees strong
- Warehouse Management Systems- gains WIFI & air cards Begins Y2K compliance
CBI introduces Kitchen Design
- Cheney Brothers introduces Kitchen Design, Equipment & Supplies Division- designing, installing and furnishing professional restaurant kitchens
- The transportation fleet acquires cell phones
Over 12,000 products
- CBI grows to over 12,000 products
First $2 million day
- First $2 million day
- Cheney Brothers acquires Progresso, a Tampa based Italian company
Introduces Janitorial Division
- Cheney Brothers acquires Palm Beach Chemical & Floor Care Company and introduces Floorcare & Janitorial Division
- IT department implements Microsoft Exchange & PC’s
Fleet grows to 75 delivery trucks
- The CBI fleet grows to 75 delivery trucks
Second distribution center
- Cheney Brothers opens a second distribution center in Ocala, adding 525,000 sq ft of office/warehouse space (Cheney Brothers’ Disaster Recovery Center)
- Ocala hits first $1 million day, 6 months after opening
- Produce Division expands, quadrupling produce sales in the first year
- July 4th marks first $3 million day
- The Cheney fleet grows to 300 delivery trucks
Opens a third location
- Cheney Brothers opens a third location, Kitchen Design Center, in Riviera Beach, adding 70,000 sq. ft. of office space
- Cheney, Shane and Kyle Simmons, the fourth generation of the Cheney Family, join team Cheney
Implementation of Cadec – logistics
- Implementation of Cadec – logistics for transportation fleet
- Cheney Brothers goes paperless with Fleet Management Software and Supply Chain Optimization
Orlando Food Service
- Cheney Brothers purchases assets of Orlando Food Service & Bari Italian Foods, creating Bari Beef International (BBI). Giving Cheney Brothers’ a 74,000 SF. USDA processing facility in Orlando under the Bari Brand, private label (BBI, private label)
- The sales force acquires smartphones & Amtel
- Duck Deli, a private label, is introduced
- Cheney Brothers partners with Swisher Hygiene for ware washing & laundry chemicals
- Cheney Brothers launches Lodging Division
Sales hit $1 billion
- Sales hit $1 billion
- The Cheney product line grows to over 25,000 products
- Cheney Brothers is 1,800 employees strong
- Cheney Brothers purchases property in Southwest Florida, Charlotte County, plans for new hub to open in 2015
Coast to Coast Importing
- Cheney Brothers opens Coast to Coast Importing
- Accento Latino, a private label, is introduced
- Cheney Brothers’ affiliate, GWB, LLC, purchases assets of Broward County based meat & seafood company, Grand Western Brands, Inc.
Third Distribution Center
- Cheney Brothers breaks ground for its new 340,000 sq. ft. west coast distribution center in Charlotte County, Florida
Opening of Distribution Center in Punta Gorda
- Cheney Brothers opened the 345,000 sq. ft. facility in Punta Gorda, FL.
Establishing Base in North Carolina
- Cheney Brothers, through its affiliate PDNC, LLC, purchases the assets of Pate Dawson Company, a 131 year old family owned, distribution company, thereby acquiring 3 distribution facilities located in Statesville, Goldsboro, and Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Cheney Brothers also acquires a specialty meat, seafood and cheese processing company – Meat and Seafood Solutions, LLC d/b/a Southern Foods – located in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- With these acquisitions, Cheney Brothers brings approximately 300 new employees into its family and extends its reach substantially north.
- PDNC, LLC officially merges into Cheney Brothers. This brings approximately 300 new
employees into the Cheney Brothers’ family and extends its reach substantially north.
- Crazy Fish International, a new affiliate, is opened to process and distribute fresh, live lobsters, and frozen seafood throughout Florida.
Expansion in North Carolina and Opening in Georgia
- Ground breaking for an additional 165,000 sq. ft. expansion of the Statesville, NC
distribution center, which will expand the building to over 250,000 sq. ft.
- Cheney Brothers opens 102,000 sq. ft. distribution center in Tifton, GA
- Sales hit $2 billion
- Cheney Brothers employs over 3,000